Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The battle of the bulge


One day, about 15 years ago, I cleaned out the cupboard under the kitchen sink and came across a lead supply pipe. The pipe had a slight bulge in it. The pipe on the right (above) above does not quite do it justice but it is pretty close.

Two weeks later I took another look and the bulge was now significantly worse and looked about to burst. Small amounts of water were weeping from it. In a panic stricken state I went in search of a plumber. Hence, I did what most people do and looked in the yellow pages. Find a few names, numbers, get a quote, how hard can it be. So, this guy turns up and has a look. He wanted to charge me 200 quid. 200 quid ! (and he would have to ripped out the cupboard, which would have to be replaced. Ahh, "Hemorrhaging money!" The trouble was, I knew nothing about plumbing. Perhaps it did cost that much. He is the expert after all.

In a panic I asked the next door neighbour (a plasterer/painter and decorator and all round good bloke I discovered over the next five years). It turned out that his brother was a plumber and would come and have a look. He took a look, told me the other guy was 'taking the piss' and said it would cost 70 quid. He would crawl under the sink, replace a section of pipe, and wouldn't need to rip out the kitchen sink unit in the process.

Oh, the relief. I was so grateful (to be continued...).

No comments: