Friday, May 9, 2008

Ben's plumbing oddysey: 4. Introduction to compression fittings

For me, and I suspect many people, the first time you will encounter a compression fitting is when it starts leaking. Based on Murphy's Law it will be located in the most inaccessible place in your house: behind plasterboard, at the back of a sealed kitchen unit or under the floorboards. You will notice a wet patch or a flood in the kitchen or some other catastrophe.

For me, it was in the kitchen sink unit.

I think it started with a leaky kitchen tap. During the investigation I discovered the pipe was dripping where it connected with the tap.

So what is the first thing you do ? Why, tighten the nut of course! Bad idea, that just made it worse.

At this point I cut of the water supply - assuming you know how to - which fortunately I did. It is called the rising main. It is the first tap inside the house where your water supply comes in.

No comments: